Our client operates a fleet of CAT 793 hauling trucks but the standard designed body with the wear package was too heavy and exceeded the 10/10/20 rule, putting OEM warranty conditions at risk due to overloading.
Our engineering and project management team in conjunction with the client executed a full potential project to identify weight reduction strategies and initiatives.
The identified opportunities were engineered, proven and passed through a change management process and once all stakeholders were in agreement, the initiatives were implemented.
The project resulted in many positive productivity improvements as follows:
- Reduction in diesel fuel burn on empty haul
- Reduction in tyre wear on empty haul
- Improved cycle times due to improved wear products
- Reduced risk of loose metal events due to improved wear package layout
- Reduction in overload occurrences
- Increased payload due to reduce gross mass of body design
- Reduction in operational costs due to wear package technology
- Reduction in damage occurrences through design change
- Elimination of hidden carry back